Thursday, March 15, 2012

Opening Up

My friends would kill me if they found this out about me. Don't skip to judgement about who I am when I tell you this, because this will be the only place I'll ever make this announcement openly...

Hello, my name is Marcus...

And I... might be a brony.

There I said it...

*sigh* (Long read ahead)

Yes, I watch the episodes like millions of other male homo sapiens on this planet. I caved into watching my first ever episode of the show back in November, wondering what all the ruckuss about it was all about. At the first few minutes, I was laughing at how girly it seemed to me. But once I got further into it... it turned out to be a really good cartoon...

Why...? and how...? That can't be possible right? This show wasn't made for grown men to watch in their own leisurely time. This show was projected to attract children. Probably girls seeing how the majority of characters on the show are female and there are many feminine aspects in the show... but... I can't describe it quite correctly.

The show isn't totally feminine at all. In fact, the show is really entertaining for me to watch, and I couldn't stop myself from watching the second episode. Or the third. Or the fourth. Or the seventh. Or the fifteenth. Or the... well, I might as well tell you that I've seen every episode thus far...

That's right, I've watched every episode in the 2 seasons the show has been around.

I shake my head at that realization...

The cartoons that are on television today just don't compare to this show. It has what cartoons back in my childhood days had (which I still can't quite put my finger on). The cartoons today just... aren't very enjoyable for me to watch. Sometimes I try to watch Regular Show, Adventure Time, Looney Tunes Show, and I even at rare times try watching Amazing World of Gumball. They just don't compare, and I find that quite sad. (Note: I like Regular Show, and Adventure Time isn't too bad of a watch either. just sayin'!)

By the way, it isn't just the show that I enjoy. The show's fandom is out-of-this-world amazing! I am being absolutely serious. The fan-drawn pictures, the fan-made music, and my favorite which is the fan-made short stories. The short stories (or fan-fictions) made by the fans that relate to the show are amazing. I've read many and continue to enjoy many more because of how entertaining they seem to be. Some of the best ones I've read can make you jerk a tear because of how beautifully sad they are, others can make you cringe and want to stop reading because of how brutal and violent they are (but you don't stop for some reason!), and others make you laugh until you're red and can't breathe.

I was so motivated by these amazing stories (here it comes...), that I even wrote one myself. It's still a work in progress, and I think it's not bad. I'll post it here later.

I don't feel comfortable yet typing the show's name... yet. If you want to find out, just Google what a brony is. I'm sure you probably know what one is because you probably spend a certain amount of time on the computer, or you've heard about them once or twice on TV.

-M82

No comments:

Post a Comment